I run Computer Associates ARCSEVE 11.0 to backup all data every night. I recently installed SP2 on the Windows 2003 server that runs the ARCSERVE backup.
After the install I found that ARCSERVE crashed after running for a while, with nothing indicated in the Arcserve log or the Windows event log.
I found a usefull post that enabled me to fix the problem. I found this just before I almost upgraded to Arcserve 11.5, which would have cost me about 550 bucks! So try this first, its pretty straight forward and my backup is now running properly again. I wasn’t happy about being forced to upgrade but CA apparently don’t support anything less than Acrserve 11.5 on Windows Server 2003 with SP2 installed.
The file that needs to be renamed is asrbckup.dll and in version 11.0 it’s location is C:\Program Files\CA\SharedComponents\BrightStor\asrbckup.dll.
I haven’t tried doing a restore yet, but at least the backup completes properly.